Talk to us about our broad range of HR and H&S consulting services, including:
- Business review and HR strategic planning facilitation.
- HR and employment relations advice and advocacy.
- Managing business improvement and organisational change.
- HR project management, bids/tenders and contracting.
- Merger/acquisition HR due diligence and integration.
- On site H&S consulting.
Director, Intuition Limited
BCom and BEd (University of Canterbury)
Simon Cowles has considerable HR consulting experience in both New Zealand and Australia. His specialist areas in recent times have been:
- Implementing significant organisational change processes for medium/large organisations (up to 10,000 people) which are aligning strategy and operating model changes with new structure.
- Implementing business improvement strategies for organisations undergoing major growth.
- Managing the people side of merger/acquisition projects, conducting HR due diligence on potential acquisitions, managing the HR part of outsourcing bids and subsequent transition/implementation.
- Setting up, managing and mentoring HR/ER/OD teams in medium and large corporates.
“Simon is a trusted advisor with whom I have had a long and mutually beneficial professional relationship. I strongly recommend Intuition for both small business and larger enterprises who want to delegate responsibility to their line managers, and do so with confidence.”
Simon has had a broad range of corporate management experience: as the HR Manager in a large manufacturing company (now General Cable) and Group HR Manager for a food processing group with 12 subsidiary companies (now Goodman Fielder). He was also involved in general management in the strategic, marketing, production, and merger/acquisition areas of this group. After five years as a Management Consultant for Deloitte, Simon established Cowles Notley (Business Consulting, HR Consulting, Recruitment and Employment Law) leading a team of over 30 practitioners. Simon was EGM HR & HSE for Downer Engineering Asia Pacific, based in Sydney, and managed the People & Capability function for Genesis Energy in NZ during consulting assignments.
Simon has also been a guest speaker in the HR area whilst acting as a sounding board to directors, chief executives and senior managers with business change, strategy or HR issues. He has also lectured part-time in HR and Organisational Change at the University of Canterbury.
Simon has considerable experience in the tourism, health, education, manufacturing, processing, contracting, engineering, telecommunications, facilities management, electricity generation/retail, and not-for-profit sectors. He also has private/public sector experience, including chair responsibility, as a professional director in the health, not-for-profit, tourism, property, economic development, and HR industries.
South Island Director
LLB and BCom (University of Canterbury)
- Facilitating Annual and Strategic planning workshops
- Delivering commercially focused and informed advice to move organisations forward including all acquisition/disposition activity, eg. contracting out, contracting in, entering JVs, PPPs, Partnerships, partnering, etc
- Managing change including workforce planning, consultation and implementation of organisational change in the workplace
- Managing employment relationship issues, eg. personal grievances/conflict in the workplace
- Driving process improvement
John has an extensive senior management background across a number of ownership structures including:
- Public (both central government and “mixed” central and local government ownership)
- Private (including NZX & ASX 100)
- Not For Profit
- Iwi Health and Social Services
He has served boards as a CE (West Coast District Health Board, He Oranga Pounamu, and Richmond Services – now Emerge Aotearoa) and GM (Enable Networks Ltd), and has reported to 11 Chairs during his career to date.
John’s industry sector experience includes private and public legal practice, sharebroking, manufacturing and distribution, health (DHB, Iwi, and community based mental health), engineering, telecommunications, regeneration planning, and fintec.
John is a Paul Harris Fellow and has chaired a retirement village, rest home and residential care facility (Windsorcare) and is a former trustee of Life Education (Canterbury). Currently, John is a trustee of the Rotary Club of Christchurch Charitable Trust, chairs two Canterbury Clinical Network committees, and is a Facilitator/Capacity Partner for Springboard Trust Strategic Leadership for School Principals Programme.